Filing A Code Complaint

The Complaint Process

City staff is responsible for ensuring that properties within the City of Vassar are maintained in a safe and sanitary manner as set forth in the City's Code of Ordinances. These standards apply to all existing residential, nonresidential and accessory structures, and to vacant land. These code provisions constitute minimum standards.

How to File a Complaint

The most effective means of filing a complaint  is by contacting City Hall. Complaints may be filed in person or by phone at (989) 823-8515.

When Filing a Complaint

Filing a complaint is quite simple and can be very effective when you have the right information. To ensure that the City staff appropriately responds to your concerns, include the following information in your complaint.

  • Be sure to have a specific address! (We do not want to close out your complaint because we have gone to the wrong building or do not know where the “Old Olson Place” is located).
  • Be specific when explaining the nature of your complaint. You do not need to write a lot, just be sure that you include enough information so that we know what your concerns are and where to look for them.
  • If you would like us to contact you in case we have a question, please include your name and let us know how to get in touch with you. The information will be kept confidential upon request.

Common Referrals

The City does not always have the authority to investigate all complaints. Some complaints are better handled through various other agencies, such as the County Health Department, the Building Inspector, etc. The City does refer certain complaints to outside agencies for processing/compliance.